“HCI were extremely professional in all of our interactions with them. The implementation process of Q-Pulse was very smooth and HCI staff were always helpful and responded promptly to any queries we had along the way. I would highly recommend HCI to anyone considering implementing a Quality Management Information System.” Alice Melvin, Laboratory Quality Manager, St. Luke’s Hospital Laboratory
St Luke’s Hospital Rathgar, founded in 1953, is a leading specialist in cancer treatment, caring for patients from all over Ireland. SLHR forms part of St. Luke’s Radiation Oncology Network and is part of Dublin Midlands Hospital Group. St Luke’s Hospital Laboratory (SLHL) provides laboratory services 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. In order to fulfil the INAB Accreditation Standards ISO 15189, SLHL decided to implement a Quality Management Information System (QMIS) utilising Q-Pulse software. The laboratory previously used a manual system and was keen to implement an electronic system which would fulfil regulatory requirements and support the delivery of a high-quality service. Consequently, they requested HCI’s support with the implementation of Q-Pulse for the laboratory.
- Conduct a strategic review with key users of each module to identify the current quality and safety processes in operation and develop and agree the most beneficial QMIS processes.
- Customise the system based on the findings from the strategic review.
- Develop process flows for each module.
- Upload SLHL documents to the system.
- Communicate, educate and roll-out the QMIS to ensure that all relevant individuals are aware of the system, its functionality and how it relates to them.
In order to ensure SLHL implemented a best practice QMIS utilising Q-Pulse, HCI provided the following solution:
- The implementation of Q-Pulse represented a significant change to SLHL’s processes as they moved from a manual system to an electronic system.
- Technical challenges of implementing a new system and re-engineering of processes.
- Short timeframe allocated for the completion of the project.
SLHL successfully implemented their QMIS, utilising Q-Pulse. The system has been customised to meet the needs of SLHL and provides the laboratory with a centralised system, that ensures a defined, consistent approach to document management, audit management, non-conformance management, people and training and supplier and asset management. HCI delivered education and training to the relevant staff members and developed process flows for each module to support staff in the ongoing use of Q-Pulse. SLHL will continue to build on this work in order to support their fulfilment of the INAB Accreditation Standards ISO 15189.
- A centralised system which supports the governance of the laboratory and the hospital.
- Allows staff to access and share the correct information from a centralised, electronic location.
- Supports the laboratory in meeting regulatory, accreditation and best practice
- Supports the continuous improvement of services at SLHL.
- Allows users to address the complete document management life cycle.
- Enhanced internal communication of processes.
- Provides a policy and procedure acceptance audit trail.
- The electronic system is more efficient, saves time and reduces duplication of work by streamlining processes in particular around document management, auditing and Quality Improvement Plans (QIPs).
- Using a portable electronic system allows for more accurate information and evidence to be gathered during an audit.
- Aids in transparent reporting and management.